Building of the Stand
How can I find my clients stand number and size?
How do I order electrics, carpet, etc?
- Emblem Events & Exhibitions are the official general services contractor for the event
- They can provide stand fittings, services and utilities
- Please visit the Stand Services Page to place your orders
What do I need to supply?
- All stands MUST have walls and carpet/ flooring
- Please note that pop-up displays/ roller banners are not considered walling
What documents do I need to submit?
- As a stand builder, you will need to submit the following, no later than 20 April 2024
- Construction Phase Plan
- Construction Phase Risk Assessment
- Detailed Stand Plans/ Designs
- Method Statement
- Proof of Insurance
- Authorisation to Build will only be issued by the Organiser upon the receipt and review of these documents
- To submit these documents, please click HERE
What is the maximum build height?
- The maximum stand build height is 4m
- Stands that exceed the 4m build height may be permissible, subject to certification by a qualified Structural Engineer
What is the floor loading capacity in the halls?
- The hall floors, including duct covers and the floor above the tunnels or other subways, can withstand a loading of 20 tonnes per square metre (2 tonnes per square foot)
- Base plates should be designed to limit the compressive stress on the floor of the Building to 200KN per sqm unless the total load on a base plate is 50KN or less, in which case a minimum 300mm square plate must be used
What tape can I use to install carpet/ flooring at the NEC?
- All stands are required to have carpet or floor covering
- Carpets and other textile floor-coverings must comply with BS 4790, BFL S1 or CFL S1 and shall be secured and maintained with low-tack carpet tape to ensure there is no slip/trip hazard
- Only NEC recommended carpet tapes may be used directly onto the exhibition floors. Suppliers are as follows:
What are the venue emergency procedures?
- The venue emergency procedures can be found HERE
What are the fire safety requirements?
- Fire exits should be kept free of obstructions at all times
- This includes all Vehicle Entry (VE) Doors, main entrances to the halls and all other pedestrian entry/ exit doors
- All materials used in the construction of stands, including signs and fascia’s, shall be compliant with the British Standard relevant to the particular material or item and ultimately, non-combustible, inherently non-flammable or durably flameproof in accordance with BS 476-Part 7
- Fabrics, drapes, curtains, hangings etc. must be inherently or durably flame-proofed to comply with BS 5867-Part 2, otherwise they may be treated with a proprietary flame retardant
- Test certificates must be available for inspection for any materials intended to be used
Do I need insurance?
- YES – whilst the organisers take every precaution to protect your property during the event, we are not responsible for any loss or damage
- You must ensure you take out adequate insurance cover for the period of your participation
- You are responsible for insuring against any legal liability incurred in respect of injury or damage to property belonging to third parties
- Both your employers liability and public liability insurance values should be not less than £5 million each, per occurrence
Event Schedule – to view the full schedule please click HERE
When can I build-up the stand?
- Custom-Build Stand Contractors:
- Monday 13 May 2024: 9.00am – 7.00pm
- Tuesday 14 May 2024: 7.00am – 7.00pm
- Shell Scheme, Stand Package & Self-Build Exhibitors:
- Tuesday 14 May 2024: 9.00am – 7.00pm
When can I breakdown the stand?
- The show closes on 16 May 2024 at 4.30pm; breakdown will commence at 5.00pm
- 30 mins will be required after show close to ensure visitors have vacated the halls and the mains power has been switched off
- At 5.00pm:
- Exhibits can be removed from the halls
- Structural dismantling of stands can commence
- Stored empties/ crates will be delivered to stands
Shipping & Handling
How can I make arrangements for forklift assistance?
- You are welcome to hand-carry smaller items into the hall, or use your own trolley
- If you require forklift assistance for larger items, you must pre-order this service from the official shipping & handling contractor, European International Fairs
- Please visit the Stand Services Page to place your orders
Where can I ship my materials to?
- Please visit the Stand Services Page for full shipping instructions
- It is advisable to use the advance warehouse facility provided by European International Fairs, for your shipments
- Deliveries to the advance warehouse will be stored ahead of time, transferred to the venue and delivered to your stand
- Please DO NOT ship directly to or “c/o” (care of) the NEC. The venue will NOT accept deliveries on behalf of exhibitors or events held there and will either refuse or re-direct them
- All direct-to-site deliveries should be co-ordinated with European International Fairs to ensure successful arrival to site and delivery to your stand
What is the venue address?
- Halls 3 & 3A, NEC (National Exhibition Centre), North Ave, Marston Green, Birmingham, B40 1NT
How do I get to the venue?
Where can I park and what is the cost?
- To view the NEC Site Map, please click HERE
- Please view the NEC Parking & Traffic Information Leaflet
- When you arrive at the NEC, please follow the digital road signage for MATS BAT EV XPO
- Contractors who need to use the lorry way at the rear of Halls 3 & 3A to unload:
- Should report to the designated lorry park (South 3) for the show
- From here you will be directed down to the rear of the relevant halls when space becomes available
- Lorry way access, if required, MUST be booked in advance of arriving onsite using the NEC’s Online Event Delivery System, Voyage Control
- To use Voyage Control, set up an account and add payment card details – the card will NOT be charged if your vehicle is removed from the unloading area within the allocated time. Please note the overstay charge has increased to £80.00 from 01 April 2023
- Please click HERE to access Voyage Control
- Please click HERE for Voyage Control instructions
- Once unloaded you will be directed to relocate your vehicle to Car Parks East 1 – 4
- Stand builders who can hand carry smaller items (or have use of own trolley) into Halls 3 & 3A:
- Please use Car Parks East 1 – 4 and enter the building via the Piazza entrance to access the halls from the front
- The NEC operates free shuttle buses that run continuously around the NEC site and car parks during events, usually starting one hour before and finishing one hour after the exhibition
- NOTE: there is no cost to park at the NEC during the build-up phase
- Breakdown will commence 30 minutes after show close/ once ALL visitors have vacated the halls and the mains power supply has been switched off
- The Voyage Control booking system does NOT apply for breakdown
- Cars and small vans will have priority to access the rear of the halls via Gate 1 once the show has closed
- Larger vehicles will be queued on the designated lorry park (South 3) from 7.15am on the morning of breakdown
- They will be sent down to the back of the halls once space becomes available
- Please note there may be a delay in releasing vehicles; however we do endeavour to ensure all vehicles are allowed down to the rear of the halls as soon as possible
What facilities are there at the show?
- Toilets – in the Atrium, at the front of the halls and inside the halls, at the back
- Cloakroom and cashpoint facilities – in the Piazza, at the front of the halls
- Build-up/ Breakdown Catering Outlets – will be open in the Piazza
For onsite enquiries:
- Exhibitor Services is located in Hall 3, on the show floor (#901)
- Representatives from the Organiser Operations Team, General Service Contractor, Health & Safety, and Shipping & Handling will be available, should you require assistance
- The phone number for the organiser office is +44 (0)1273 286 399
I’ve forgotten something. Is there anywhere onsite where I can purchase supplies?
- Yes, you can find the Expo Supplies shop out the back of Halls 3 & 3A
- For more information and directions, please view their website, linked HERE
Still got a question?